Saturday, October 25

Lists/This Sleep Schedule Probably Isn't Healthy

I was bored in music today. Here's what I spent my time doing (except when we watched Looney Toons' "What's Opera, Doc?" which easily made the week). Keep in mind that the following was just done idly with what was on my mind and I'm sure beloveds in every section have been forsaken. It's 4 Top 25 Lists though, drawn up in 20 minutes or so. I might do something further with them later. The first two were fairly haphazardly thrown together in order, and the second two are well...not.

BANDS/MUSICIANS
1. Jeff Buckley
2. Anathallo
3. Nickel Creek
4. Ryan Adams
5. Bob Dylan
6. Ben Folds
7. The Beatles
8. Caedmon's Call
9. Regina Spektor
10. Wilco
11. Joanna Newsom
12. Coldplay
13. Loudon Wainwright III
14. David Crowder Band
15. Explosions in the Sky
16. U2
17. Vedera
18. The Postal Service/Death Cab for Cutie
19. Eisley
20. Sufjan Stevens
21. Counting Crows
22. Andrew Bird
23. Norah Jones
24. Sigur Ros
25. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

MOVIES
1. Edward Scissorhands
2. La Vita e Bella
3. Magnolia
4. The Dark Knight
5. Little Miss Sunshine
6. The Nightmare Before Xmas
7. Forrest Gump
8. Good Will Hunting
9. Pulp Fiction
10. Lord of the Rings (pretending it's one 10-hour movie)
11. Big Fish
12. Elizabethtown
13. The Truman Show
14. Wall-E
15. Benny and Joon
16. It's A Wonderful Life
17. Sleepy Hollow
18. Se7en
19. American Beauty
20. Bottle Rocket
21. Once Upon a Time in Mexico
22. A Mighty Wind
23. The Shawshank Redemption
24. Lady in the Water
25. The Lion King

TV SHOWS
(I decided post-listing, meaning just now, that I would order these from when I started watching them. So basically, this is an outline of the television that has influenced my life from childhood to junior high to high school to now. It is a truly a catalog of love. And I do still love all of them and would most definitely watch them for hours at any given time without qualms, except maybe power rangers.)

1. Power Rangers
2. Looney Toons
3. Scooby Doo
4. Animaniacs
5. The Simpsons
6. Mighty Max
7. Beast Wars
8. The Powerpuff Girls
(those last two seem a little bit contradictory in title)
9. Dexter's Laboratory
10. Samurai Jack
11. Fullmetal Alchemist
12. Seinfeld
13. King of Queens
14. Survivor
15. Late Night with Conan O'Brien
16. The Colbert Report
17. The Office
18. Lost
19. Arrested Development
20. Heroes
21. 30 Rock
22. Curb Your Enthusiasm
23. This American Life
24. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
25. Pushing Daisies

BOOKS
(Here I'll do the same thing I did for television, though sadly TV has played a much larger role in my life than books. Also, I'm not including the Bible because that's just always been there. After all, in the beginning there was the Word. Consider it Item Zero if you'd like. Narnia's excluded too because I simply don't remember it.)

1. The Hobbit
2. Encylopedia Brown books
3. Deltora quest series
4. The Redwall series (literally the definitive books of my junior high years -favorite: Marlfox)
5. The Lost Years of Merlin series
6. Harry Potter (favorite: my initial urge was to say Goblet of Fire, but I think the writing got progressively better, so the seventh one -I forget what it's called)
7. Fahrenheit 451
8. The Giver
9. His Dark Materials Series (favorite: The Amber FREAKING Spyglass!)
10. The Lord of the Rings (favorite: don't make me choose!)
11. Mere Christianity
12. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
13. Life of Pi
14. The Catcher in the Rye
15. The Great Gatsby
16. The Scarlet Letter
17. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
18. Till We Have Faces
19. The Brothers Karamazov
20. C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (favorite: PeReLaNdRa)
21. Frankenstein
22. Crime and Punishment
23. Co. Aytch
24. The Sound and the Fury
25. Cold Mountain

And that's my 100 off the top of my head sitting in a left-handed desk in music class.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perelandra makes me all giddy inside.

I don't like taking issues with people's personal preferences but Coldplay before Loudon?!?! Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Martin, but come on!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen La Vita e Bella, but other than that, I've seen them all and I agree with them all except for Sleepy Hollow. I hate you for showing me that.

Anonymous said...

Andrew, you STILL haven't seen La Vita e Bella?! What a shame.

Elizabethtown is 12! Sweeeeet.

That's so cool that you read Encyclopedia Brown books!! I read those too. They were so tight.

Anonymous said...

I was happy to see Little Miss Sunshine in your top 5. I'm reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time right now because of your recommendation. I too dabbled in the contradictory Beast Wars and Powerpuff Girls. I am now in the mood to watch La Vita e Bella

Anonymous said...

Honest question: was lady in the water really your favorite shyamalan movie?

Kyle said...

Well, again this was drawn up off the top of my head and there are several movies that would be added to the list now that I've thought about it more, Signs being one of them. The Happening for obvious reasons didn't make it though, and I can hardly remember any of unbreakable. The Sixth Sense would be up there, but I don't think it's that far up there. So, in a real list, Signs would be ahead of Shawshank and Lady in the Water, and probably some more.

Anonymous said...

Dude, we need to watch Unbreakable together. That movie is life-changing.

I agree with you on The Happening though, big time. I don't even consider it one of his movies.