Wednesday, October 15

My ideal reading schedule achieved...Eureka!

I'm quite proud to claim a reading schedule again, for the first time since summer. This one is much more complex and regular though. Each night I read a few sections of Yeats' Irish Fairy and Folk Tales. Then I read a few poems by Robert Frost, varying from one to twenty, depending on how they strike me. If I'm in the mood, I'll then read a bit of mythology: a chapter/battle out of Three Kingdoms or a myth of Bulfinch's (and I just found the online Plutarch's Lives which I'm quite excited about reading). Lastly, I pick up a book I bought in Oklahoma called Star Lore: Myths, Legends, and Facts. It was written in 1911, but is still one of the best sources to learn about the constellations as far as I can tell. I read about one constellation's chapter every night...a wonderful tradition dating all the way back to yesterday. That stuff fascinates me way too much. Okay, that wasn't lastly. Just before I go to sleep, I'll usually read one of my homework assignments -almost always a book of the Bible (or if it's a long one, however far I can make it before slipping out of consciousness).

Eventually I might start reading novels again, but for now I'm content.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got a similar routine. Mine is more of a daily routine that I start in the morning and finish at night. I read a Kafka story, a Faulkner story, an Eliot poem or two, and then a few chapters of the Eliot biography. I don't know if blogs/news reports count, but they should, because I probably read 50 articles a day.

Is Frost your favorite poet (and you're welcome for Yeats :)?

Kyle said...

I haven't read nearly enough poetry to really answer that. The only poetry collection I've read completely is the Yeats one (oh and Spoon River) and so he's my favorite poet, but probably just because I haven't read enough from other poets. I've got Leaves of Grass sitting at home, and a Frost, Rilke, Wordsworth, Neruda, and Eliot book that I haven't read half the poems in.

Anonymous said...

Leaves of Grass is tight. I like Nuerda and Rilke. I'm not a big fan of the Romantic poets, so I haven't really given Wordsworth a fair shot. Maybe I should.